A Great Dane was was lucky to be alive after 43 socks were removed from his stomach. Recently he became ill and had some X-rays taken of his stomach. After the problem was discovered he was rushed to an emergency animal hospital in north-west Portland, Oregon.
Dr Ashley Magee explained to CNN “We opened up his stomach and kept removing sock after sock of all different shapes and sizes,”
Later the X-rays which impressed the vet were entered into the annual “They Ate WHAT?” contest at Veterinary Practice News. They ended up winning a $500 third prize. They ended up losing to a frog who gobbled up 30 rocks from the bottom his cage and a German shorthaired pointer who swallowed a metal shish kabob skewer.
Since the operation there have been no further sock swallowing incidents.